01 Mar Cleaning Tips for Selling Home
Get Your Home Resale-Ready
When preparing your house for resale, the main thing to remember is that homebuyers are looking for the chance to set down their own roots and create their own memories, not to take on yours. Follow these tips from the Carpet Keepers team to get your home looking its best and ready to show.
1. Corral the Clutter
Homebuyers want to imagine their own furniture and possession in a new space, and it’s hard to do that if your home is bursting with your things. Clean up the clutter and personal items to give buyers a neutral canvas.
- Take personal items like family photos, mementoes and collectibles out of the rooms, and remove most books from the bookshelves.
- Scoop up fridge magnets, personal toiletry items, travel souvenirs, kids artwork and anything else that might interrupt a clean surface.
- Remove everything from your kitchen counters but a couple of appliances or attractive canisters.
- Donate any unwanted items or sell them at a garage sale.
- If you don’t want to sell or donate your belongings, pack them up and put them in storage.
2. Get Real about Curb Appeal
You don’t need a green thumb or expensive landscaping, but some upkeep on the outside will give your home an inviting look.
- Keep the grass neatly cut and hedges trimmed.
- You may not have time to plant in your beds, but you should pull up weeds and then mulch the beds.
- Potted plants can add a dash of color and style to your patio, steps or porch.
- Consider no-maintenance artificial plants for a quick, easy update.
- If you have a pool, keep it sparkling clean or keep it empty and covered.
3. Cleanliness is Key
Nothing turns off potential buyers like a home that looks or smells dirty. Your best bet is to hire professional cleaners to make sure every nook and cranny is shining.
- Keep bathrooms and kitchens gleaming and replace or retouch any worn-out grout.
- Replacing dingy faucets or cabinet pulls is a quick and inexpensive upgrade.
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Hire a professional carpet cleaner for deep cleaning and recall to vacuum carpets daily.
- Sweep and mop your laminate, wood or vinyl floors daily while the house is showing.
- If the walls and trim are truly dingy, paint them yourself or hire a painting company.
- If you have a fireplace, sweep it out.
4. Fresher is Better
Always think of ways to freshen your home, whether it’s placing new towels in the bathrooms, a vase of flowers in the living room, or a bowl of potpourri at the entrance.
- A clean home will smell good, so keep up with your scrubbing and dusting.
- Instead of harsh, artificial air fresheners, try scented candles or candle melts.
- Odors that appeal to homebuyers include baked apple pie, blueberry pancakes, cinnamon rolls, and other comforting food scents.
- Keep your outside trash bins tightly covered.
- Don’t leave garbage cans or recycling bins inside the house.
5. Brighten and Lighten
Make your home appealing to buyers by making it look brighter and more spacious. Nobody wants to buy a house that feels cluttered, dark or dingy.
- Replace your light bulbs with brighter-wattage lamps and keep them on when buyers are visiting.
- Many home stagers recommend removing any furniture that interrupts the flow from room to room.
- Remove all but the essentials from your pantry, cabinets and linen closets.
- Use decorated boxes for an attractive, organized appearance.
- Keep bathroom surfaces clear except for a soap dispenser or a bowl of guest soaps.
- Open the curtains and blinds.
Look with Fresh Eyes
When you’re preparing your home for resale, always try to look at your familiar surroundings with fresh eyes. How does each room look? Is it clean and inviting, or is it a messy turnoff? Start with a thorough cleaning and decluttering, remove your personal items, and then consider adding some small touches of style and scent.
It’s not easy keeping your home this way but the payoff is worth it. Follow these tips and your home will be resale-ready when the next eager buyer walks through the door. Contact Carpet Keepers for local expert carpet cleaning – on demand and ready to help!