19 Nov What is the Average Life of a Carpet?
Keep Your Carpet Looking Great!
All carpet looks fresh and wonderful when it’s first installed. Over a few weeks, it starts to look even better, as the fibers spring to life after months of being rolled up. You’re thrilled with it. But how long will those good looks last?
Most modern carpeting lasts about 10 years. Some carpets look old and worn after a year. Others look fresh and new for many years. What makes the difference?
Do you know what your carpet is made of? The strongest carpets are made from wool, nylon or nylon blends. These fibers are known for their ability to “bounce back” after being professionally cleaned. Cleaning makes them look and feel like new again.
If your carpet is made from other fibers, read the manufacturer’s suggestion on the best way to vacuum and clean them. You’ll need to take extra care not to crush or tangle the fibers. Any carpet will look and feel better if it’s professionally cleaned.
Maintenance and Care
After the fiber, this is the second most important factor in determining how well your carpet holds up. Most carpet manufacturers recommend the following maintenance schedule.
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly at least once a week.
- If you have pets or children, you should vacuum three times a week.
- Have your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year.
- If you have pets and children, have the carpet professionally cleaned every six months.
- Spot clean to immediately pick up pet messes, spills, and stains.
In addition to this regular routine, follow these tips to keep dirt off your carpets.
- Use mats in your doorways to trap dirt before it enters your home.
- Don’t wear shoes on your carpets.
- Don’t walk barefoot on them either. Your skin has oil that can transfer to carpets and turn into greasy stains. Wearing socks is the safest way to walk on carpeting.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions to learn which type of vacuum cleaner to use on your carpet. Every fiber type requires different vacuuming methods.
- Set up a regular cleaning routine to keep carpets fresh. This will also help you get all the old, set-in stains and smells out.
How big is your family? Do you have children? Do you have pets?
Depending on the answers to these questions, your carpet could be in for some heavy use and abuse. You will need to clean more frequently and more thoroughly. You’ll also need to include your area rugs and upholstery in your regular cleaning routine.
- Make sure everyone removes their shoes in the house.
- Avoid eating in carpeted areas.
- Get carpets, rugs, and upholstery professionally cleaned twice a year.
The carpet style you choose is much less important than regular cleaning and care. That said, certain styles do seem to hold onto their looks a little longer.
Loop and frieze carpets have loose, twisted fibers that hide stains, footprints, and vacuum marks. Plush or velvet carpet springs back after being pressed down. Berber is a durable choice if you don’t have pets, whose claws can snag the short loops.
Any carpet will look and feel refreshed with a deep cleaning that releases built-up dirt, grease, and odors.
Get a Deep Down Clean
A professional carpet cleaning will perk up your carpets and your whole home. Let CarpetKeepers get your whole house sparkling with our patented PureScience method.
- PureScience is a natural, non-toxic cleaning system that is safe for homes with children, pets, and people with allergies.
- Our method is the only one guaranteed to eradicate dust mites and other contaminants.
- Our 10-step cleaning procedure eliminates all odors, including old pet odors.
- PureScience also pulls dirt, grease, toxins, stains and smells from your area rugs and upholstery.
- With Carpet Keepers, you can set up a regular cleaning routine that eliminates the need to constantly call us for service. We’ll come out on your schedule and get your whole house refreshed and renewed.
If you have new carpeting or just want to look like you do, call Carpet Keepers today.